DIY Bathroom Mirror Trim

Jun 12, 2017

When we moved in to our new house almost two years ago I thought within the first month we would trim our master bathroom mirrors. That obviously didn't happen! I did finally get around to it and when I timed myself it only took a few hours out of our day. It's such an easy and inexpensive update, and it makes such a big impact. 




Here it is unframed.



And after!



There are a lot of tutorials out there, but I'll give you a quick rundown of how we framed ours since it might be a bit different. I like to glue the wood right to the mirror so you don't have the visible seam between the wood trim and the mirror caulk doesn't quite hide. You can also customize your trim to fit the style of your home. We had a craftsman trim on the mirrors in our last house, but this house needs something a bit more elegant with a crown moulding piece on top. You will need a saw for this project so that might prevent some of you from trying this DIY. If you are game, here's the process.

This is basically four boards glued to the mirror in a square with two trim pieces glued on top. We measured and bought pre-primed pieces at our local home improvement store. The top piece is a wider board at 5 inches and the side and bottom pieces are about 3-3 1/2 inches. Since these are pre-primed there wasn't any painting to do beforehand. If you are painting anything other than white keep in mind to paint before you install the pieces on your mirror. The backside will show in the reflection of your mirror. Once the bottom piece was cut to length we used liquid nails to apply it to the mirror. We also held it temporarily in place with screws underneath until it was dry the next day along with the blue painters tape. Then we cut and installed the side and top pieces. I installed a trim piece on the top that resembles crown moulding and a smaller trim piece at the base of the top board. The next day I removed the tape and screws. I caulked the seams and painted it the same color as our cabinets. Done!






There's still so much to do! I'd like to replace the mosaic tile around the tub. I "think" I can DIY it since it's such a small space. We replaced a small section of our kitchen backsplash in our last house and it was really easy so I don't see this should be any different. That's what I'm hoping at least! The walls need to be painted. I'm really not looking forward to that, but at least it's a small space. I need decor-art, chandelier, and a rug. The most expensive item is going to be the shutters for the windows. We have privacy windows, but they are truly hideous as you can see in this picture. Shutters will turn builder grade windows into something pretty and give you window trim at the same time. It's definitely cheaper than replacing them. Most of the work is going to be pure elbow grease. Lucky me!

As a side note, I am finally going to have the time to work on these projects. Tomorrow is my last day of work as a nurse auditor. I'm going to concentrate on my design and staging business for now. It's been a side job for the last few years, but I'm ready to focus solely on it and see where it goes. You might start seeing some of the projects I've been working on soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment